Why are Generation Y Yuppies unhappy? That is the question this Huffington Post blog explores, explaining clearly why your life sucks (or at least why you think so). The equation they use is Happiness = Expectations – Reality. Interesting enough… and food for thought. (Some of this Huff blog is NSFW, so avert your eyes before you get to the potty word!)
I’ll be honest … I usually take issue with these types of broad, sweeping sociological statements. My issues usually are: people treat generation Y as though it were a monolithic entity, the basis for the claim that they are X, Y, or Z is often not established, these things conflate correlation with causality, and also I feel jealous because I’m too old for Gen Y but too young for Gen X.
In any case, my Technology class last night discussed online self-presentation and what is “the self”. We talked about performativity by Judith Butler and wrestled with what it meant to present, perform, and or exhibit oneself online. One thing we did not address directly yet was the compulsion for people to present an overly positive image online and/or the sociological side-effect of comparison of our personal knowledge of our actual lives with the projected image of other’s online lives.
The “Why are Generation Y Yuppies unhappy?” blog proposes an answer in the last section of the piece. Its initial premise is that “Happiness = Expectations – Reality” … and for this connected generation, the digital house always wins. There is some research to support these claims, as well.
This poses an interesting question for me to self-reflect on: Is my social media use making me unhappy, and if so … what should I do about it?
- Wait But Why: Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy (huffingtonpost.com)
- How Facebook makes us feel inadequate (elezea.com)
- Gen Y Yuppies: is disillusion with life causing excessive singledom? (theanthemblog.wordpress.com)
- Breaking Down The Gen Y “Quarterlife Crisis”: A Generation’s Expectations in Context (thenarcissisticanthropologist.com)
- Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy (bluesyemre.com)
- Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy (dp2web.wordpress.com)
- (via wait but why: Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy) Cheeky… (caterpillarcowboy.com)
- Why Gen Y Yuppies Are Unhappy (chubbyriceball.wordpress.com)
- Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy (stellardisco.wordpress.com)
- The “GYPSY” in me adorned with unicorn and rainbows? (socialsonnets.wordpress.com)